Blending Practice


After reading David Powells reply to the question, you said you moved on to larger figures for room would you recommend these for new painters looking to improve their skill? I thought that I might be able to first see how good or not, I am with blending on a larger surface.

To start off with I needed to find something that I could use for this then I came across a small screw/nail plastic box in my garage. 


Primed


Now I needed to decide what I was going to do and how I was going to do it and where on the box. I decided to only use one of the smaller squares because they are big on their own and I did not want to waste too much paint and because I have never tried wet blending before thought that I would try it with layering. Then it came down to what to blend and the method to use and came up with three color block of Dark to mid tone to highlight.


Then I blocked off the areas With the base coat.


This point I noticed my consistency needs work (on the big list) then I began layering the dark and mid tone by painting layers of the mid tone starting my paint stroke in the dark and finishing in the mid tone so painting left to right.



I may have overdone the amount of layers I have done on this, which can be seen with a new line of mid tone in the dark tone. But I thought I might be able to fix that with some glazes later on. 

Carrying on with the blending on the light and mid tone, sticking to the same method I did with the dark and mid I began layering the light tone into the light starting in the mid tone and ending in the light.


As you can see from the picture above my issue with chalk decided to return (can't seem to get that monkey off my back) so I decided to change what I was blending and into what and took the decision to blend the mind tone into the light.

In the end when I was done, I ended up with this.


This is where I finished with this practice as you can see there is some difference between the shades and that the blend was some sort of a success, but I felt anything else would cause it to become a dark block with no change in tones.

All in all I was very pleased with this ok, I am not going to win a Golden Demond with blending like this, but thanks to the notion of painting on a larger scale from David I was able to see more clearly what I was doing, how wrong it was and like all things maybe with practice I will be able to fix it. Also, it has to be said it is a very different painting on a large surface if what I am use to and that alone is a challenge in its self and I would recommend it to anyone, not just because it was recommended, but if you are use to painting something else just getting out of your comfort zone and trying something new.

This is where I would like to lay down a challenge to anyone reading this and that is give it ago and see what it is like also if you take a picture of it and send it to noobsandtheirpaintbrush@gmail.com I will add them to this post. 

Thank you for reading.


Post a Comment