Q and A with Brett Johnson Part 1


Following on with our q&a's we are pleased to bring you a q&a with.

Brett Johnson



About yourself?

I’m 38, Yorkshire born and bred, having just moved back to God’s country after 16 years in the North East. Married with 3 kids. Avid Sheffield Wednesday supporter. It’s a little known fact, I invented Apple Pie and I was Oscar the Grouch’s body double


How long have you been painting and what made you get into the hobby?

Been back in the hobby painting for 10 years. I first had a brief dalliance with the hobby when I was about 17, had a couple of mates that played Warhammer and 40k. I always preferred the painting side.  Gave it up when I discovered I liked raving and drinking more

Have you ever won any competitions?


A few, many on Wamp and some local GW store ones. Also won best in show at IMP 2009, finalist in Iron Painter and a few finalist pins from GDUK. 


What brushes do you use?



Mainly Rosemary and Co but lately the new Wamp range, which is just hitting Kickstarter right now (get on it folks!!)


What are the three things at your workstation, you could not live without?



Purple Wash, Vallejo Metallic Medium and pigments


Is there anything you know now that you wish someone told you at the start?



Don’t become a commission painter!



What is the last Modal you finished painting for your own collection?



I don’t have any in my personal collection. All are commissions or sold. I do have the Wamp miniatures I painted though so I guess they might count. Popeye would be the latest I have completed.


Would you choose True Metallics or NMM?



Tricky, I do both regularly. For years I was anti- NMM but once I tried it I enjoyed painting it and it does help with improving your true metallic. If I had to choose one I would probably go with True metallic. NMM is great but only works on some models whereas True Metallics can work on any mini.


What is your favourite scale to paint in?



I grew up in the hobby on 28mm so around 28-32mm is my bread and butter stuff.


Do you use an airbrush and if so, what for?



Nope.

Work By Brett









This is the end of the first part of the interview if you would like to ask any questions for Brett, please leave a comment and we will try and get them to him in time for the second part.

Post a Comment