A Series of Unfortunate Events!

Image result for lemony snicket movie


Have you ever had that feeling that maybe you were not meant to have or do something well this is my story and I call it.

Airbrush more like Air disaster!

The story starts off with my problems with the Dark Elfs which you can read about here and I needed to figure out a way to fix this issue and also because of my limited time that I get to paint also speed things up so I headed over to the all powerful and knowing the all mighty GOOGLE because we all know that's where we head for all our needs.

From my search I stumbled across a blog by Scott Hockley called Black hand painting and a tutorial that he had done Architect Advanced Painting Guide from this I was about to pick up two things that would help me with my issues I was having with the Dark Elfs.

1. GW Spray Primer is a paint and not a primer and I should think about using a brush on primer instead
2. Using an airbrush will help to speed things up wile priming.

So now I had the information I was looking for thanks to the tutorial and almighty Google for finding it I headed back to get the things I needed so I would not get the same issues again.

I took some advice and got a cheap brush to start with as well as a neo for when I start to become more comfortable with it.

I got a Royalmax



and like I said a Neo Iwata



well, as a good air compressor

AIRBRUSH COMPRESSOR IN FITTED CARRY CASE

I also got the brush on primer and alot more but its not worth going into that.

Right so with it all ordered it was time for the good old waiting game.

This was the start of the series of unfortunate Events!

The items that I ordered  most were from the UK then I realized the one item I needed to start using it all was from japan!! That was the cheap airbrush. This point was where I spent a few hours F'in and jef'in manly because I would have to wait maybe four weeks before I would be able to use it mainly because to save cash I got it because it has the hose with it!

The very next day things started to arrive the compressor was first as well as the primer, then for a few days nothing then out of no where all the way from japan the Royalmax turned up before the neo!

Ok, you might be thinking, well, that's not very unfortunate well in away it was and I'll explain why

Like most things when you first get them and are excited you play around with it and see how it works and I did I took apart the Royalmax to see how things work, that's all good but for the life of me I could not get it back together!!! So there I was with a new airbrush in pieces and for the life of me, I could not get it back together then I realized that I was going to my IPMS meeting that week and someone would know how to get it back together and they did apart from the threading on the back part was sticking and needed some WD40 to get it back in. So I headed home and got the WD40 and then tried to screw it back together, but it would not budge so I got some pliers to get a better grip on and nothing it was not moving until it did move when it Snapped!!!!!!!



So before I started using it, I had already broken it!

There was nothing left to do but use my Neo which I did not want to do but I had no choice. I got all my stuff and headed upstairs to my painting room and then begin putting it all in place and rearrange things to fit things in and then finally was ready to use it! So I got everything ready and turned on the compressor and then got the hose out connected it to the Airbrush then went to connect it to the compressor and that's when I found out it was the wrong hose I needed two 1/8 connections!

So it was back to my laptop to order the right hose after more waiting the new one came and I was ready to start again. I connected it all up and then turned it on and things were ok.... Until I tried to adjust to the Psi on the regular because with a pop the thing came off in my hand!!!!



At this point we are up to broken airbrush, wrong hose and now busted regulator on the compressor. So after a call to the company they sent me a new one and I fitted it and yet again ready to go.

This time round things were all ok and I based my cloaks with reaper clear paints which because I got the set did not know they are pure pigment, but considering what has happened it was not so much a big deal also the blue cloak was because of this.

So after my first go with the brush things were going well or so you think! Yes the brush worked well and I was very pleased with my first go with it, but then it came to cleaning it most of you might be thinking what could happen there that is not hard or difficult well then you don't know me at all and how dence I really can be.

So I put the airbrush into a cleaning station and I added some water into the brush and flushed it all well and good, but there was still some paint so I got my Airbrush cleaner and added it to the brush to make sure I get it all. Since this was my first time doing it did not know what would happen, but I was sure it should not stop and then starting bubbling! So I had a look at the bottle to see if there was any instructions or something I had missed and YES there was because the Airbrush cleaner that I used was really clear water effect!!



Ok, after more f'in and jef'in and running to the bathroom to wash it all under the tap and Praying to anything willing to listen to me not to have broken another Airbrush I went back to painting scared to use the Airbrush I got out a brush and carried on with the base coat.

At this point I thought that nothing more could go wrong and so might you but then we would both be wrong! (see what I did there)

When I started painting I thinned the paint the same as I did with Airbrush thinner, but as I was painting it seemed to be smearing and lifting from the model.....?


I am sure you might be able to figure out what I did here if you are not already laughing because you think I am stupid then this might.

Instead of adding Thinner to the paint I added airbursh cleaner!

And this brings us to the End of the story.

Have to point out though the Airbrush cleaner turns out to be an amazing paint stripper for minis and also little areas I tested it out but here is a tutorial on it 


I look forward to hearing from you also don't worry, I can take it.



Also remember we are doing a £50 gift voucher giveaway!






  



2 comments:

  1. Oh man that is rough. My only advice is slow down. You probably now realize that the learning curve for airbrushing is 10X that of bristles. PS, thinner, medium nozzel size paint brand and maintenance all play parts and will take you years to learn. I think everyone thinks "oh airbrush will make it faster" it won't. It's just another tool but it will not make your hobby life any easier. Keep at it though and be happy you didn't cross thread the back end of an expensive airbrush :) I have. I cried. When you are ready for a more advanced AB Badger are stand up guys. They help a lot of noobs out of tough jams and offer course and such at various cons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap. I thought my adventures with airbrushing were bad. I feel for you...I really really do, because I've been there! Just the other day, I was moving and thinning some paint for the airbrush, and toppled the cup I had the paint in, and i somehow hit the airbrush at the same time, and sprayed WHITE PRIMER all over my model.....

    So trust me, you are among friends here! It'll get better and easier...I hope!

    ReplyDelete