1 Down, 49 To Go! Alexandra From Another World

Got my first miniature of the year finished, and it's Alexandra from Another World. She's a metal 30mm scale miniature that I picked up from the Wamp Store to join my Astra Militarum as a Commissar.



Another World is a relatively new European miniatures company that deals in highly detailed Science Fiction miniatures that could also find their way into the definition of Steam Punk or Cyber Punk. Every miniature they release has both a standard metal release and a limited resin release. Whichever you get will come in a small plastic bag with a card stating the miniature's name and if they are the metal or resin version. If they are the resin version, you will also have a number of your limited edition - No X of Y.


My Alexandra is a metal one, though resin copies are still available through the Another World store.


She was an easy build, coming in 3 pieces - the main body, left arm and right hand. You get 2 left arm options - one with jacket and one without. The arm join is good at the shoulder and you could possibly get away without the green stuff and call it the stitching of the shirt but I added some anyway to ensure stability as she will be a gaming piece.

 I wen't for the jacket as she is going to be a Commissar in my Guard force once I get around to getting enough squads to allow me to run the number of Commissars I have floating around. She comes with a standard round GW style base, which makes her a perfect fit and as she is a lady, nobody would really notice if the scale was a little off against the bulky guardsmen.

The metal gauntlet, which I've taken to be a power fist of sorts, is very similar to the old metal Taelor from Wyrd (below) in that it looks like it could be, but is a lot less bulky than the usual GW issued style. The pistol also looks somewhere in between a bolt pistol and a las pistol so that's the gear fitted in nicely.



The only con I really found with her was the face - there is some nice detail shown on the metal, but once you get primer, base coat and inks on there, I found that a lot of the detail, particularly around the eyes was hard to make out. I suck when it comes to painting eyes so usually I just throw some Ogryn Flesh in there and make them look shadowed - this usually works when the eyes are reasonably deep set but in this case they are slightly less defined so they didn't turn out as I'd have liked.

That's a minor thing really, more to do with my lack of ability with faces than the miniature.




Overall I enjoyed painting her and she is achieving a lot by getting finished first. She is 1/50 as I try to beat last year's total, my first OMAM entry and also my second entry into Wamped V - I might do a little review on my other entry as well at some point in the near future. I liked the quality of the model so when browsing through the Wamp Store again, I picked up a second Another World mini in Jenny the Nurse, also in metal. Something for the future :)



Post a Comment