On The Desk - Goblin Chieftain Part 1 - Skin tones and Leather




You might remember towards the beginning of the year I reviewed the Infamy one shot, Goblin Chieftain (or as I affectionately call him, Goblin Chicken Rider) Here is the link to the unboxing (http://noobsandtheirpaintbrush.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/unboxing-infamy-one-shots-goblin.html)
Infamy recently announced they were running a competition to paint the miniature so I decided to go for it! 

The painting in this week's article was actually done towards the beginning of June when I had a painting weekend. I didn't want to have three projects on the go on the blog so I waited until one was finished. The deadline was for the end of June so the mini is now finished but I'll spread it out over a few weeks to avoid a wall of pictures and text. I originally thought the end of the competition was at the end of July so most of this model was painted in 3 days, quite fast for me!


Here is the chicken. I decided I wanted to go for an orange/brown colour. To try something different I took Scrofulous Brown from VGC (which is a slightly more orange/yellow-y version of the old Snakebite Brown from GW) and mixed in a purple (in this case GW Xereus Purple) to desaturate it and move it closer to brown. I then used some S75 Inktense Violet thinned down to shade the lower regions and shadows.


To highlight I lightened the base mix with some VMC Ivory and carefully painted the highlights. I used a series of short lines in various parts of the model (you can see it most cleanly on the rear legs) to help emphasise a hide like texture.


Moving onto the rider, again I started with Scrofulous Brown, only this time I added Loren Forest by GW to give me a very yellow-y green. This time I glazed Armour Brown from VMA into the shadows (a nice red brown) I again used Ivory to lighten the base tone and place the highlights. 


Leather! I always love painting leather, it's an interesting material to try and represent with paint and you can do it in so many different ways. This time I grabbed the 5 colours below. I applied the paint very chaotically, mixing on the model, glazing with different colours in different spots. At the same time I painted the straps but left the leather on the rider (I want to use different colours for that) I used a light colour (mostly the Reaper Tanned Leather) to add little weathering spots around the edges of the straps and saddle.

 

Next week I'll be continuing with this, metallics and more leather.

Post a Comment