On The Desk - Renaissance Assassin Part 3


 This week I've been juggling two different projects (more on the other one next week) I've been continuing with my base for the Assassin.

I've never really made anything like this before so it's very much an experimental process. I've done some reading up on how other people have made things but I wanted to use materials I have available to me so I decided milliput was my friend.

Rather than trying the whole thing at once I'll be doing it in stages. So a smooth, thin layer of milliput is applied to the lower section (I also filled a few gaps in other bits of the base)


I let the putty harden for a while before using my hobby knife to begin scoring the horizontal lines in the brick work. I didn't use a ruler or anything because I want it to look quite natural. After this I used a sculpting tool to widen the gaps as you can see in the top few. You can also see I'm varying the thickness of bricks.


After that I carefully use my knife and sculpting tools to create the vertical lines, again varying the placement to keep things interesting.


Same technique but this time on the sides.


Once that is completely dry I move on to the front of the sides


And the top section! The plan is to have an arch on top of this which is why I haven't put much detail into the upper bricks. I also used a steel brush and some cork tile to 'damage' the milliput and create some texture.


I then used green stuff to start sculpting some tiles onto the very top of the roof. Why green stuff instead of milliput? Well I mixed some for the other project and had some left over ready to use.

Still plenty more to do, need to finish off the brickwork on the top section. Next week I'll be introducing my other project then depending on how things go I may alternate weeks for each project.

2 comments:

  1. I think it looks good. I haven't tried using Milliput for bricks like that, I've only used air drying clay or plaster. I haven't gotten very good results from those so I might have to order some Milliput to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah most of the efforts I've seen have used plaster. It's really hard to tell how good it is until I've put some paint on it so fingers crossed!

      Delete