Feral Nexus, by Icarus Miniatures



This week, instead of churning out even more WIP shots of ongoing projects, I decided to paint a random model I received in my subscription to Model Box. For those of you that don't know what Model Box is - its a monthly subscription, whereby you receive a bunch of models, paints and accessories for the hobby. I took a punt on the one in July and got the model I have painted today.


The Pieces.



As you can see, this is a three piece resin model from Icarus Miniatures. Admittedly I had never heard of the company until recently. The model is very finely detailed and fits together nicely. There was a little bit of flash on the model, but this is to be expected from resin. Five or so minutes of tidying the model up and it was assembled.

The Detail.



As you can see, the detail is fantastic. I'm still learning how to use my digital camera, but I think I have captured the model really well in this photo.

The Finished Piece.



I only had the idea for the flesh for this piece. I wanted a green skin tone with purple shades to really make it look different. I wanted to maintain a 'feral' look, so the rest of the model is either brown or black. I toyed with a brightly coloured loin cloth, but opted for black.

The Method.

I started off with a grey primer and then painted a watered down coat of GW Warboss Green to the entire model. I then applied a watered down wash of GW Purple Ink to all of the flesh areas. I have used Green Ink in the past but I wanted to give the skin tone a different hue.

This was highlighted with Warboss Green once again, with Rakarth Flesh adding to add two more highlights. The final highlight was 4/1 Rakarth Flesh and Warboss Green. Once this was dry I then applied a very watered down coat of the Purple Ink again to add a bit more definition.

The leather areas were painted with Model Colour Woodgrain, and then given a coat of Model Colour Smoke.  This was then highlighted with Woodgrain again, then an edge highlight of Game Colour Dark Fleshtone with a final highlight of 50/50 Dark Fleshtone and GW Rakarth Flesh.

I even highlighted the black with Rakarth Flesh as I wanted a more subtle look (I usually use GW Dark Reaper, but fancied a change.)

This model took me around 4 hours to paint.  I would consider this a 'Tabletop Standard' due to the rough-and-ready look of the painting. Years of gaming in GW stores has taught me that a few highlights is enough for gaming. Due to my busy lifestyle I don't generally have a lot of time to spend on one model, but the style I have developed over the years has served me well, and still gets some very positive comments.

Tell us what you think!

Why not tell me and the other guys what you think of our projects? We love the interaction and are always looking for feedback on our projects. You can sign in with your Googlemail Account and let us know what you think. And please... be brutally honest.

4 comments:

  1. Nice work! The purple works well as a shade against the green. Any plans to base him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll just use green flock for the base. I kinda like the base in plain black as it doesn't distract the eye from the model.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the skin colour - I've used purple washes on green in the past, but it's never looked as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the skin colour - I've used purple washes on green in the past, but it's never looked as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete