Q and A with Ernesto

Image result for Q and A

We are very pleased to be able to bring you a Q and A with Ernesto Reyes Stalhuth.


About yourself?

My name is Ernesto Reyes Stalhuth, I'm from Caracas Venezuela, I was born October 10th 1974, I'm Illustrator and Graphic Designer and I feel I lot of passion for figure painting, something that I do as a professional since 2007.
I work mainly doing box arts to Stormtrooper miniatures but also I worked with brands as Pegaso models, Alpine miniatures, Elite miniatures, Mantis miniatures, etc. Also I do commission works for collectors, I published my work to different books and magazines as Euromodelismo figuras, Figurines, Historical miniatures and Scale model handbook. 

How long have you been painting and what made you get into the hobby?

I started this hobby back in 1994 doing plastic jets, I worked in a hobby shop for about 1 year, my passion for figures started in the 2001 when I saw in a hobby expo some cool figures who cough my attention and I though "I will give it a try, why not" since then I only paint figures and abandoned the plastic models.

Have you ever won any comps?

Yes I won some national competitions here in Venezuela, also I won bronze and silver medal in Spain Madrid, silver medal in AMT Valencia Spain, Bronze in a world expo, Gold in a North American show and also in a Germany show. 

What brushes do you use?

Several, main brushes W&N serie 7, DaVincci, Broken Toad, Raphael, any good quality Kolinsky brush.

What are the three things at your workstation, you could not live without?

My brushes, water, Magic Sculpt, good lights, acrylics paints and music.

Is there anything you know now that you wish someone told you at the start?

Yes, be patience and never surrender.

What is the last Modal you finished painting for your own collection?

I guess it was the Vlad mounted figure from Pegaso models.

Would you choose True Metallics or NMM?

I never try the non metallic technique, so I will say in this case Metallics.

What is your favorite scale to paint in?

75 mm and 1/9 bust

Do you use an airbrush and if so, what for?

Yes, I use airbrush to paint the primer coat, ground works, female skin, and big objects like big scale flags.

Do you suffer paintbrush envy meaning is their a painter out there who you wish you could paint as well as?

No envy, but I feel a lot of respect and inspiration for painters like Sang Eon Lee, Danilo Cartacci, Pepe Gallardo, Pepa Saavedra, Jose Hernandez, Jesus Martin, Mike Blanc and a long etc...

Here are some of the many works of art by Ernesto.

Churchill

Alice

Afghan Tribesman 1842

After The Battle

54th Massachusetts Private, ACW

If you have any questions for Ernesto please do comment below and we will try and get them answered before pt 2.

Post a Comment