On The Desk - Renaissance Assassin Part 8 - Adding a label to the plinth



 A flurry of project finishing lately so time to work towards finishing the final one, the renaissance assassin I've been painting for the Eadbanger 2 competition on the Eavier Metal Facebook group.

This article is going to look at making a label for the plinth, something I've not really tried before. I decided I wanted a burnt scroll look to the label. I grabbed some Sculpey (a modelling clay that you bake in the oven) and rolled out a thin sheet, then sued some sculpting tools to give it a more ragged appearance. Once it was baked dry I primed it white and then painted it with a thin coat of off white .


I used the S75 NMM Gold set to paint this, it has a mix of nice browns and yellows. I used Tenere Yellow and Sahara Yellow to blend the edges darker.


I worked this up to Dubai Brown and then Dubai brown with a little black. Finally I used some black weathering powder on the very edges to give the appearance of ash.


Finally I used some very thin glazes of a middle-ish tone to help tie the whole thing together.


Here is the label glued to the plinth.


I wanted the label to say Requiescat in Pace (Rest in Peace) a common phrase the assassins use after killing a target. I used a notepad to try a few different styles and practice my joined up handwriting (it's been a while!) before I settled on the design and felt comfortable doing it.


I used a light pencil to draw my design on the label so I had something to guide me.


Then using thinned black paint and a brush with a good tip I carefully finished the design, then I used an eraser to carefully erase the pencil markings (no picture of this bit I'm afraid, will have to see on the final pics.



So getting closer, base is practically done, miniature is close to finished!










Post a Comment